Document Actions

You are here: Home Counseling Welcome guide for … Administration


Tour of administrative offices for all new international students

Studierendenwerk Freiburg offers a free bilingual tour (German / English) of the important administrative offices you may need to consult. You will get help to register your residence, to open a bank account and to acquire a health insurance from a German insurance company.
More information

Announcement of Residency / Resident Registration

After arrival in Freiburg within two weeks, you have to register your place of residence at the Bürgeramt of the City of Freiburg. There you receive a registration paper. (Meldebescheinigung). For an appointment you need to take a ticket with a waiting number or make an appointment online.

The following documents must be presented:

  • Rental contract
  • Passport (if necessary) or Personal Identification (EU)
  • 1 passport sized photo (EU citizens require 2)
  • A white registration form (available at the registration office)

Notice of stay / Registration:

Residence in Freiburg:
Bürgeramt der Stadt Freiburg
Fehrenbachalle 12, ground floor
79100 Freiburg
Phone: +49 (0)761 201-0; Fax: +49 (0)761 201-5698

Service hours:
Monday to Thursday: 7:30 AM to 12:30 PM
Friday: 7:30 AM to 12:30 PM
Saturday: 9:00 AM to 12:30 PM

Residence in administrative area:
Administration (Bürgermeisteramt / Gemeindeverwaltung) of the place of residence

Please have in mind to sign off at the Bürgeramt, your health insurance as well as your bank account.

Visa extension or application for the residence permit

Citizens of non-EU countries are required to apply for a residence permit with the City of Freiburg (or the aliens office of the “Landratsamt”, if they life outside of Freiburg), before the expiry of their visa. To do so, the following are required:

  • passport with entry visa
  • biometric passport photo
  • recent confirmation of health insurance coverage
  • administrative fee
  • confirmation of enrollment

More information


Visa extension or application for the residence permit:

For residents of the City of Freiburg:

Stadt Freiburg

Immigration Office (Amt für Migration und Integration – Ausländerbehörde -)

Berliner Allee 1

79114 Freiburg

Business hours of Service Desk: Mo, Tu, Th, Fr: 8 AM to 12 noon.,Lde/205368.html


Residence in administrative area:

Aliens department at the respective Landratsamt


For Freiburg and surroundings:

Landratsamt Breisgau-Hochschwarzwald


Stadtstraße 2

79104 Freiburg

Phone: +49 (0)761 2187-0

Tax Identification Number

(Steuerliche Identifikationsnummer)

Every individual in Germany receives a personal identification number (steuerliche Identifikationsnummer “IdNr”) to ensure unique identification within the tax system. This number is unique and is assigned to you for life. It will not change if you marry, move, or leave the country.

When you register in Germany, you will receive a letter with this number automatically from the Federal Central Tax Office.

Please keep the letter! You need your tax identification number in case you want to work in Germany.

More information


Public Broadcasting License Fee (Rundfunkbeitrag)

After you register your address in Germany, you will receive a letter from the Rundfunkbeitrag (Public Broadcasting License). For every apartment in Germany, a fee of 17.50 euro/month must be paid to support public broadcasting. You will be requested to pay this fee regardless of whether or not you use the programming. This fee goes toward supporting the public radio and television stations in Germany (ie ARD and ZDF) and is required by law.

The rule is every apartment/house must pay the fee, regardless of how many people are living there or how many televisions/radios/computers there are in the apartment. If one of your roommates is already paying the fee then you will not need to pay as well (although you should probably split the fee with them).

More information:

Accident-, Personal, Third Party Liability Insurance

We recommend that you have accident, personal and third party liability insurance for the duration of your stay in Germany.

Health insurance

All students must be insured against illness in Germany. Students from EU countries should bring their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or their insurance certificate with them to Freibur. Students from non-EU countries are best off taking a health insurance with a German public health insurance company. All public health insurance companies offer special rates for students (approx. 110€/month)

More information

Insurances through the Studierendenwerk (Student Services Freiburg)

Through your semester fee, you are covered by several insurances (liability, recreational accident insurance (outside of university), theft protection, contents insurance for residents of the student halls) through the Studierendenwerk. Many of those insurances only cover damages that are directly related to your studies (except for the recreational accident insurance).

Therefore we strongly recommend that you still have a personal liabiltiy insurance that applies to your everyday life outside of your studies. 

For more information please contact

Mr. Atavi Yenke

Public transport


With the “SemesterTicket” students of the University of Freiburg can use public transport including buses, trams and local trains in Freiburg and the surrounding region. It is valid for the duration of the whole semester (winter semester: 1st October till 31st March / summer semester: 1st April till 30th September) and costs about 89 Euro.

Travel with UniCard „ 7 pm ticket“

Even without the SemesterTicket, students can travel for free on buses, trams and trains with the RVF after 7 p.m. 

travelling after 7 pm without a SemesterTicket, you'll need to show official photo ID, a matriculation (enrolment) certificate, and the new UniCard or PH-Card.